Summer Learning Journey:Day 4, Part 2
In the 1980s it became increasingly common for students to graduate from high school and take a year off to travel and experience the world. This year was often referred to as the ‘Big OE’ or ‘Big Overseas Experience.’ A number of kiwis headed to places like Australia and England to live and work before returning to New Zealand to finish their studies. Our second task for today is to imagine that we are a student in the 1980s and we’re about to graduate from high school. Where would we like to go for our OE? We have to write down where we would want to go and what we would want to do there.
Activity 2-
I would like to go to the Philippines. Ii have family there and we only catch up every 2-4 years. Last time I went (Easter holidays 2017) there, we did really cool things. We learnt how to surf, we went to Star City with our cousins and went on a shopping spree. Star City is this really large indoor and outdoor amusement park. Snow world was connected to it. Snow world is a world full of snow. There is a ice slide and lots of hand-made ice sculptures. We even got to eat take aways at least once a day! It was really fun and being with family made it even better. I would definitely want to stay there in my OE.
Hi there Lauren,
ReplyDeleteThat’s awesome that you want to go to the Philippines for your OE. From what you’ve mentioned from the various fun parks like Snow World and Star City to learning how to surf, looks like a cool place to visit! Plus that would be very handy to have family that live there so you could stay without having to spend any money on accommodation! If you had to visit a country that you have never been to before for an OE where would you want to go? Last year I went on an OE to the United States last year and stayed in New York for a month and I enjoyed it so much. I have many places that I would love to go to one day. I think countries in Europe like France, Greece, Italy and Croatia would be places I would love to go to!
Looking forward to hearing from you soon and keep up the blog posting!
Cheers,
Jade F :)