There are 6 main ways to show space in art, they include: Overlapping, shading, placement, diminishing size, value and focus and linear perspective. We were given a task to create an image or take a photo showing these 6 ways to create space. Here are my examples-
To maximize the results that I could have done for an example, I decided to take the time to do a full drawing representing more than one of the aspects. Although I'm not sure if all of them are executed right, I tried my best to include overlapping, placement, diminishing size, and value and focus.

I showed overlapping by putting the three girls at different distances from each other, sometimes one of them is slightly covering a part of the other girl. I tried using placement by putting them at different areas on the screen. Although I'm not so sure I did this right, I tried using value and focus by making the girl at the front the main focus point of the image because she is the biggest out of the other two girls as well as the background image and she takes put about half of the screen. This shows diminishing size because the further away from the 'camera' they are, the smaller they are, making the girl at the front appear the biggest and the girl at the back noticeably smaller. The way space has been used creates a deep space, adding depth to the image.
I drew an image of a school girl with two of her friends taking a selfie. While working on creating space in the drawing, I also had fun drawing this, even if it took quite a while to complete. Along with that, I just recently switched to a different drawing programme which had reasonably different tools, layout and controls to the previous one I had used for a long time. So this was also a great learning experience to get adjusted to the new programme and to test tools and material that I haven't used before. On top of that, I had fun with the colour scheme for this drawing. I liked contrasting the different colour combinations for the eyes and hair, going outside what is considered natural in the real world. With the amount of effort that I put into drawing this, I am overall pleased with the final outcome.
This (above) photo uses shadow to create a shallow space. I angled a torch (aka my phone's torch) onto the cup which was sitting just in front of a wall. The shadow that was cast from it went directly onto the wall that was just behind it, showing that there was not much depth in that imagine.
Lastly I used linear perspective to create deep space. The photo shown above was from when we visited a nearby beach a little while ago. The left side and the shore transition into the distance and shrinks towards the middle as it gets further away. I think that this was a good example of linear perspective.


Lauren, you have demonstrated the techniques used in Art to show space very clearly. Your examples and descriptions are easy to understand. The new drawing programme sounds interesting and I look forward to seeing further Art posts from you.
ReplyDeleteMrs McGirr
Lauren,
ReplyDeleteYour painting and photography use different ways of creating space very well. Your writing about the painting, explains how overlap, placement, and different sizes are used to create space. The girl in the foreground taking a selfie is the focal point as you point out. She has more detail than the girl in the background. This would be an aspect of focus. You introduce colour and move the darkest values around from hair, eyes, and a mouth. This creates movement certainly. You use a flat painting style throughout most of the painting so light and shadow, or value is not used to make the girls look 3-D. But you do create space in other ways. Your photographs clearly show us a shallow space and the use of linear perspective to create a deep space. Well done. :)