The next activity for day is to create our own Pepeha. A Pepeha is just like a Mihi. There are no obvious differences. We have to create a Pepeha about our family. Just like a Mihi, we need to include out mountain (the closest mountain to you), your river, where we are from (city), our parents, and the best for last, you!
Activity 2-
Here is my Pepeha-
Ko Mt Aorangi te maunga
My Mountain is Mt Cook
Ko Waimakariri te awa
My River is Waimakariri
Ko Otautahi ahau
I Am From Christchurch
Ko Rose raua ko David
My Parents are David and Rose
Ko Lauren toku ingoa
My name is Lauren
Hope you enjoyed ready my blogpost. Comment down below what your Pepeha is.
Hi Lauren,
ReplyDeleteRuby here from the Summer Learning Journey team!
Great work! Pepeha's are important, I think, because they allow us to acknowledge our ancestors and also help us figure out who we are. I like how you have laid it out using the different colours for Maori and English.
A few ideas for the iwi and hapu sections:
What I use for my hapu (sub-tribe) is my last name. This is because they are my immediate "tribe" who I belong to.
For my iwi (tribe), I use the Irish (or Airiri in Maori) because this is the "tribe" that my family comes from.
Perhaps you could use these ideas in your pepeha?
Let me know if you can figure it out!
Cheers,
Ruby.